The concept is simple. Throw meat and some vegetables into a slow cooker, add some seasoning, and let it simmer all day. After a few hours you and your family have a complete, home-cooked meal, with minimal effort and maximum flavor. What could be better than that?
- 3 to 4 pound beef roast, visible fat trimmed
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved (can substitute sweet potatoes)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, quartered, if tolerated
- 1/2 c. boiling water
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper, if tolerated
- 2 t. dried basil
It doesn’t get any easier than this! Layer roast and vegetables in a 3 qt slow cooker. Add water. Sprinkle in garlic, salt, pepper, and basil. Cook on medium for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours. Temperature of roast at its center should be a minimum of 145°.
- Chicken Dinner: Substitute 5 to 7 skinned chicken breasts or thighs for beef. Substitute rosemary for basil.
- Turkey Dinner: Substitute 4 to 5 pound turkey breast for beef. Substitute poultry seasoning for basil.
- Beef Stew: up roast into 1-1/2 inch cubes. Increase water to 1-1/2 c. One hour before serving: Mix 2 T. flour with 1/2 c. warm water; stir until smooth. Stir gently into stew. Continue cooking for at least an hour.