With the arrival of Fall, you’ll find the last of the California Avocado crop on your market shelf but, take heart, there is an abundant supply year round imported from other countries. Not only is avocado remarkably low in acid, it is one of our most under appreciated vegetables. Avocado can shine at every meal. Avocado toast with a poached egg makes for a perfect breakfast. Combine thin slices of avocado with lettuce, turkey and bacon to make an amazing California BLT. Top a warm bowl of chili with slices of green loveliness and dot with sour cream. Quesadillas with melted cheese, scallions and avocado make a perfect side dish. You can even make brownies, cheesecake, cocktails, and ice cream with avocado. Really! Google it!
Avocado toast combines rich flavors, textures and spices to create a remarkably healthy meal. Eggs and avocado work beautifully together but you’ll also find some lovely veggie combinations using cucumber, radish, strawberries or tomato. Avocado works beautifully with certain meats like thinly roasted beef, turkey or crumbled bacon! You really can’t find a healthier way to start the day.
Creating Your Perfect Avocado Toast
Start first by selecting a great bread that toasts well such as sourdough, multigrain or Ezekiel. Lightly butter while hot! Then play! Yes, my friends, we really want you to play with your food. Here are some of our favorite toppings!
- Thinly sliced avocado topped with poached egg, salt & pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced avocado topped with shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese, melted under a broiler
- Thinly sliced avocado and cucumber placed on top of a layer of hummus
- Thinly sliced avocado and thinly sliced salmon
- Thinly sliced avocado topped with sliced roast beef.
- Mashed avocado topped with thin slices of hard boiled eggs
- Mashed avocado topped with scrambled eggs
- Mashed avocado topped with roasted nuts (pine) or seeds (sesame)
- Mashed avocado topped with a thin slice of tomato with a fried egg on top
- Mashed avocado topped with crumbled, smoked uncured bacon
- Mashed avocado topped with thin slices of radish and avocado
If you’re looking for a more creamy texture, top any of the above sandwiches with a warm hollandaise sauce! Of course, salt and pepper to taste! Enjoy!