Fresh salsa is a staple of summer barbecues but, sadly, it can often contain high levels of acid. Don’t want to be left out? Try this yummy version that uses lower acid yellow tomatoes that have all the flavor without the burn!
Low Acid Confetti Tomato Salsa
- 2 large yellow or heirloom tomatoes, diced into 1/4 inch chunks (both types are usually lower acid than their greenhouse counterparts)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1/4 small onion, diced into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1/2 c. (or small can) pinto, drained
- 1/2 c. (or small can) yellow and white corn, drained (try Green Giant SteamCrisp brand for extra crunch)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, gently chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- White pepper to taste, if tolerated
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and let stand in refrigerator until flavors and juices combine. Use as a dip for baked pita chips, whole grain tortilla chips, or use as a topping for hamburgers and chicken! Are you looking for a low calorie snack? Try using freshly cut celery sticks as a salsa scoop!
From: Confident Choices: a Cookbook for Interstitial Cystitis and Overactive Bladder by Julie Beyer, MA, Rd.